The following are a collection of licensing resources for future licensed professional counselors and licensed marriage and family therapists. Licensing requirements CHANGE! Just because you research something NOW does not mean it will not be different LATER! Use these links to keep up with these changing requirements. Requirements also vary from state to state…so if you are planning on moving after gaining your degree, I would HIGHLY recommend researching both your current and future state’s requirements. Over time I plan to add resources from different states/locations. If you have a link for your state you would like me to share on this page please comment on THIS page.
- Board of Examiners for Counseling arranged by state courtesy of the American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Information on licensure alphabetical order by state – by the University of Kentucy – State Licensure for Psychologists
- AWESOME site by Illinois State University: Psychology at Milner Library Blog — Contains licensure information for Counseling and School Psychologists
- Licensing Regulations PDF and Licensing Statutes PDF courtesy of the Board of Professional Counselors
- Laws Rules and Regulations
- Licensure Information/Requirements – (both sites courtesy of the Arkansas State Board of Examiners)
- California’s Coalition for Counseling Licensure – note (if you’re graduating in 2012 versus after 2012 there are different requirements for licensure) link takes you directly to both sets of requirements.
- Licensing and Application Services courtesy of Colorado’s LPCBoard. If this is your first time looking at licensure here, start with the Board rules and skim for licensure requirements. Site is a little confusing.
- Professional Counseling Licensing – site is not just devoted to counseling, and can be confusing. I’ve linked directly to the counseling licensing section to save you time! Courtesy of Connecticut Dept. of Public Health.
- Mental Health Counselor Licensing Site – on your left it links to the licensing requirements, and also has contact information for the board. Main site for both LPCS courtesy of the Dept of State Division of Professional Regulation. (Unlike other sites this links DIRECTLY to LPC information.)
- Marriage and Family Therapists – Links directly to LMFT section of the Dept of State Division of Professional Regulation’s site.
District of Columbia
- Marriage and Family Therapy – links directly to section on LMFT in DC’s Health and Professional Licensing Administration
- Professional Counseling – links directly to section on LPCs in DC’s Health and Professional Licensing Administration
- Florida Dept. of Health – Links directly to licensing requirements for social science professions. Scroll down to view links to LMFT/LPC etc.
- Laws/Regulations for LPCs/LMFTs/and Social Workers PDF file – by the Georgia Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists
- Board Rules Including Application for Licensure – by the Georgia Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists
- Link to Rules/Licensing Law – courtesy of Dept. of Commerce and Consumer Affairs: Professional and Vocational Licensing for the State of Hawaii
- State Licensure Law – courtesy of Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses and the Licensing Board of Professional Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists
- State Licensure Rules PDF – contains LFMT/LPCC guidelines etc. courtesy of Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses and the Licensing Board of Professional Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists
- IMHCA (Illinois Mental Health Counselors Association) – LOTs of resources for Illinois on licensure, law/rules, required coursework, etc.
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) – includes rules, application forms, and information. Site is part of the Indiana Board, very confusing as it contains a lot of links/info unrelated to counseling. I’ve linked directly to the counseling/licensing portion.
- Iowa Mental Health Counseling Association (IMHCA) – Licensing Resource to chapter 31 of the law/rules
- Iowa Board of Behavioral Science Examiners -4th Floor, Lucas State Office Building/Des Moines, IA 50319-0075/Phone: 515-281-6959 -(It looks like the best way to contact/find out specifics is to call the Iowa Board directly. Not a lot of info. about licensure on the site itself.)
- Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board: link to licensing section.
- Laws and Regulations – licensing laws including fees/education requirements/etc. courtesy of the Kentucky Board of Licensed Professional Counselors.
- Applications for Licensure – courtesy of the Kentucky Board of Licensed Professional Counselors.
- Laws -Louisiana Mental Health Counseling Licensing Act courtesy of the Louisiana Board of Examiners for LPCs/LMFTs
- Rules – including Licensing Requirements for LMFTs courtesy of the Louisiana Board of Examiners for LPCs/LMFTs
- Revised Statutes – Laws for licensure/Counseling Professionals courtesy of The Maine Govt. Office of Licensing and Registration
- Board of Counseling Professionals
- Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene: Board of Professional Counselors
- Licensing Requirements – Includes detailed page for LPCs/LMFTs and Alcohol and Drug related counseling. Clearly laid out, and contains appropriate contact information for clarification.
- Counseling Licensing Board LMHC and LMFT – HERE
- Licensing Psychiatry – Here
- Psychology-ist licensing – Here
- Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) – Licensing Board for Counselors
- Licensing for the following: Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC), Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC), and Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). Courtesy of Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy.
- Mississippi Licensed Professional Counselors Association – Link to MS Board of Examiners is on main page.
- Licensing Requirements – pdf as of 2011.
- Committee for Professional Counselors
- American Counseling Association of Missouri – List of Supervisors
- Board of Social Work Examiners and Professional Counselors – click the tab licensing and select area of study/profession.
- Nebraska DHHS: Department of Health and Human Services – licensing information for LPCs LMFTs and LMHCPs
- Board of Examiners – Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors
- Board of Mental Health Practice – LCMHC (see links on right hand of page and click Laws/Rules for details on requirements)
- Division of Consumer Affairs – Professional Counselor Examiners Committee (had a hard time maneuvering the site, I highly recommend contacting the committee for specifics/to double check licensing requirements).
- Regulation and Licensing Department – Counseling and Therapy Practice Board
- NYSed.gov – Mental Health Practitioners (scroll down and see left hand menu bar for info on MHC and MFT).
- Licensure information and options – (LPC, LPCA, and LPCS) courtesy of the North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors
- Counselor, Social Worker, and M&FT Board – for the laws/rules click HERE. I did not see a lot pf information for the generic counselor (versus MFT). I recommend if your looking into MHC or LPC or LMHC that you contact the board to verify the information/requirements for licensure.
- The OK Division of Professional Counselor Licensing – this page HERE links directly to the academic requirements for LPCs, LGCs, LBPs, and LMFTs. Very easy to navigate site. Contact info is readily available on the main page.
- State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapist and Professional Counselors – for licensing information click HERE
- Board of Examiners for Professional Counselors – (in spanish/ esta en espanol)
- State of Rhode Island Department of Health – If you scroll down on the main page there is tons of information divided by health/mental health-based profession
- Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Psycho-Educational Specialists – for specific information about licensure click HERE
- Board for Professional Counselors, Marital & Family Therapists, and Clinical Pastoral Therapists – here is a link to the Statutes/Rules/Policies (if you look on the left hand side/menu bar there are additional links)
- State Board of Professional Counselors Homepage – see left hand side of site for navigation links.
- Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing – link goes directly to the professional counselor section of site. Page is well organized and blocks color coded.